So. Here. We. Go.
We are officially on strike. SAG-AFTRA.
If you are reading this and you are non-union -- this is your strike you too. We are all fighting for the future of our industry. I'm encouraging you to pretty please not tune out. Instead join the fight as well. Whatever that looks like for you. I support it.
Before I go any further with the email from my team - I want to make sure I say at the top of this email that SAG-AFTRA is where you can get the most up to date and accurate information.
Do what you can. When you can. Don't feel bad. We are all in this one together.
SAG-AFTRA is officially on strike, Katy.
Does that mean your career just came to a screeching halt?
Some but NOT all contracts are affected, which means there is still a lot you can do...
If you've written a script in the Short Film Lab (or you're ready to finally start writing your short), the good news is you CAN.
The SAG AFTRA short film agreements are NOT affected by the strike (specifically the Micro Budget, Student Film and Short Project agreements).
And who knows - maybe you can attach a high profile actor to your project since they currently have some free time in their schedule. I believe in you!
If the strike has you stressed out, take a deep breath
This strike is crucial for the future of the industry and there are still a lot of things you can do to stay creative and fulfilled.
To get the full list of what you can and can't do during the strike, when and where to picket, and how you can support the union, use sagaftrastrike.org as your go-to resource.
And if you want to use this time to get started on writing your script, go to: https://pickfordwest.lpages.co/short-film-lab-digital/
Finally, I love what DaJuan wrote awhile ago before SAG-AFTRA officially went on strike:
What I do know is that I have no control over what happens in those negotiating rooms.
But, I do have control over HOW I SPEND THIS TIME RIGHT NOW.
I've been saying it for a couple of months now...
But, I'm always down to say it one more time.
You have a choice.
Be ready before the industry comes back.
Get ready after the industry comes back.
It's super simple.
And both options are valid and depend on what you need. Again, right now in your career and your life.
All I'm going to ask...no, all I'm inviting you to do is...
Lean into this time.
Don't fear it.
Figure out where the leaky holes in your career are...your personal life...and plug them.
Just like the pandemic, I'd hate for you to come out on the other side of this time -- and you will make it to the other side of this -- but, I'd hate for you to be unchanged.
So, that's my invitation for this week.
Lean in to this time.
What are you doing for yourself this week? For your career?
Here are a number of other resources to look into (whether it's strike related or any time you have a need due to illness, injury or other hardships):
- Entertainment Community Fund: Offers free social services programs for people in entertainment, including emergency financial assistance and counseling.
- SAG-AFTRA Foundation: Provides emergency financial assistance programs and support services to eligible SAG-AFTRA members in urgent financial need.
- Motion Picture and Television Fund: MPTF members are eligible for needs-based temporary financial assistance as well as mental and physical wellness.
- Behind the Scenes Grant: (Not for the strike but if you're sick or injured) Offers entertainment technology professionals a Basic Needs Grant and a Counseling Grant for mental health services.
- Broadcasters Foundation of America: Monthly grants offered for those in broadcasting with financial need due to illness, accident, age, or other misfortune.
- Will Rogers Motion Picture Pioneers Foundation: The Pioneers Assistance Fund provides financial assistance and counseling services to theatrical exhibition and distribution workers experiencing hardship due to illness, accident, or underemployment.
With Love & Gratitude,
P.S. I'm getting ready to share a five day challenge where I will share more ways to manage your money during a strike. Sign up with your email below to get the details.